Jumping back over here, years later! Our Expedition Cruise on Atlas Ocean Voyages - March 2024

Once again it has been far, far too long since my last entry. And I will pick up back where I left off at some point. There were many days left of that trip, and there have been many more since! I had been sharing pictures of my travels only on Facebook pages - both my business page Getaways Done Your Way, and my personal page, for awhile, but I decided to come back here to my blog to be able to share more of the details. The stories that go with all of these pictures I love so much! 

This journey starts in March 2024 when my son, Alex, and I traveled to Argentina for our first Expedition Cruise! About a year ago Alex had mentioned to me that he wanted to go to Ushuaia to see the penguins. He's a wildlife conservationist and quite a birder, so a trip there is very high up on his list! We had the opportunity to sail on Atlas Ocean Voyages on an itinerary that I knew he would love - from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, with stops in the Falkland Islands and the coast of Argentina. 

We drove up to JFK for our overnight flight to Buenos Aires where we would be spending the night prior to flying to Ushuaia and then boarding our cruise the next day.



Our flight went pretty quickly, considering it was over 10 hours long! When we landed we took a taxi to our hotel, the Hilton Buenos Aires. Our room wasn't ready just yet, so we walked around the area. The Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve was a few blocks away and was the perfect start for Alex to begin his birding! 









The weather was perfect, it was sunny and warm but not too hot. It was the first days of Autumn there, which is the opposite of us, where it was just starting to be spring. We spent quite a bit of time walking along the edge of the reserve. The actual park was closed due to trail maintenance. 

Afterwards we walked around the Puerto Madero Waterfront Neighborhood, which is where the hotel is. This riverwalk area is filled with restaurants and has been newly revitalized in the past few years.



These restored, old cranes, decorated the waterfront area





This is the "Woman's Bridge" - or “Puente de la Mujer”, which is a modern pedestrian bridge supposed to represent a synthesis of a couple dancing the tango. Designed by Santiago Calatrava, this 160m long pedestrian rotates 90° to allow water traffic to pass.











Our hotel for the night, the Hilton Buenos Aires



Next up, our Argentinian Experience dinner!....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Pedro, hustle and bustle!

You'd better Belize it!

A Beautiful Morning