Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Arenal, Costa Rica

Ok!  Let's go back to 2010 and my last big adventure to Costa Rica with my parents and the kids!  I started blogging about this trip way back when and then somehow sort of got sidetracked!  But now let's get back to it!  This post is a bit of a summary of where I left off...

I knew Costa Rica was someplace special the first time Keith and I visited in 2008, and this trip in 2010 was our third trip back.  It's not only a country with such diverse ecology, and amazing wildlife, but everyone you meet there makes you feel so welcome. We took a second trip with the kids in 2009, and then returned again in 2010 with my parents.  I couldn't wait to show them the beauty of this country!  I knew my mom would love the wildlife, especially the birds!  And my dad, he loves the outdoors!  This was a pretty adventurous vacation for them.  It was truly a multi-generational trip.  

We started our trip with a few days in La Fortuna, Costa Rica.  The highlight here is the Arenal Volcano.  


When we visited the volcano was still active, rumbling and puffing smoke pretty frequently!  We decided to stay at the Arenal Observatory Lodge this trip.  It's as close as you can get to the volcano and the wildlife viewing there is some of the best in the area. It's not a fancy resort, but it was just what we were looking for.  There were some great hiking trails and they had a nice pool to hang out in after a day of adventure!  Not to mention that the views of the volcano, right from our room, were amazing!




While we were in this area we got to do some great things!  We went zip lining - well, some of us did anyway!  Sky Trek adventures has the fastest and longest lines in the areal.  You can read my post about our zip lining here.  And for those who weren't up for quite so much of the adrenalin rush, but still into a bit of jungle adventure, we went on a guided hike at the Hanging Bridges.  You can read about that here!   We still barely scratched the surface of the activities in the area, and I know we'll be returning to La Fortuna and the Arenal area sometime!  My kids loved it and my parents could definitely appreciate it!

Our first stop in Costa Rica was a fantastic success!  But it was time to move on.  There's a lot to see and do in this amazing country!


No comments:

Post a Comment